Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Santai Ajalah… Or, “Why I Love Procrastinating On The Ring Of Fire”

Apparently, as one of my friends pointed out to me recently, I have not updated my blog in over a week. This was followed up by another friend berating me for having time to write comments on the blog without adding a new entry. My answer is: A) hey, thanks for taking so much interest! And B) Ok-lah, you try living on the ring of fire, and dealing with the havoc it wreaks on your daily activities.

So, maybe you heard; there was this earthquake in Taiwan the day after Christmas, (because there is always some sort of natural disaster around Christmas time here. It does make one wonder about being a Christian!) Anyway, it was a 7.1 on the Richter scale. Which means it was pretty large, right? So, one of the exciting side-effects was that the internet throughout Southeast Asia was inaccessible for over a week, specifically opening any site that ended with a dot-com. They were predicting two weeks, but I don’t think it lasted quite that long. Personally, I think it was perfect timing, because I needed a clear lesson about why I should not wait until the last minute to get things done. This, or course, is the week for fellowships to be handed in, so while I did manage to finish my applications, I didn’t get a chance to have my people in Pittsburgh check out my proposal and give me comments. (Yes, as if I hadn’t learned that lesson often enough in my life. J) Anyway, who doesn’t love a good earthquake now and then to make life interesting?

Just to give a shout-out to the other disasters that recently occurred in Indonesia, such as the missing flight of Adam Air somewhere in Sulawesi and the capsizing of boats due to strong winds, please remember the families of victims in your prayers, meditation sessions, and/or thoughts.

1 comment:

sherijberi said...

In Judaism, when escaping a harrowing situation, we pray a prayer called "gomel". I'll hit it for ya chickie!