Monday, December 18, 2006

Shopping

Shopping is sooooo much more fun in Indonesia than America. All you shopaholics…you are missing out if you haven’t been here. I went to the “pasar kaget” (like a farmer’s market, but with tons more stuff) on Sunday. Yes, I skipped church.
But I did to buy krudengs! Sorry Jesus. :) And a krudeng my friend is the easiest kind of jilbab to wear. You just slip it over your head, and wala! Otherwise, with the jilbab you have to mess around with tying it together, and hoping it looks good.

Ok, so back to why shopping in Indonesia is the awesome-possumest, to quote a good friend in Pittsburgh. So, Sunday morning, I left the house a little after 6am, meandered down to the pasar with Ibu Laksmi (my dance teacher). By 8am, I had purchased two stretchy work pants, a long-sleeved shirt, four krudengs of various styles and colors, five socks, and a couple of drinks. How much did I spend for all these goodies? Yes, that’s right, a little under $10. The pants were a little long, and one of the krudengs was a little wide. So this morning I asked the taylor who passes by the house every morning at 9am to hem the pants and sew up the krudeng. How long did that take? 5 minutes. How much did that cost? A dollar. Thank you Indonesia, for showing me the joys of shopping! That it is not always a pain, and boring, and you can never find what you want and when you do find it, you probably can’t afford it.

So, now I am the most fashionable Muslim ever. I have pink, yellow, crème, baby blue, and royal blue krudengs!

Ooh, and on a whim yesterday, I decided to spend the weekend in Bali to see my rock-star friend's performance! I leave on Thursday. :)

3 comments:

sherijberi said...

Hey there: I looked up "krudeng" under google images and found (sadly) nothing. It would've been so cool to have images on your blog. Two hours is a bit much for uploading. Enjoy your rock star travels.

Jenn the Bacontarian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn the Bacontarian said...

Yay rock-star friend! Wooo Bali, that is so cool. Have fun on the mini-trip. What a fun idea! :)