Thursday, December 7, 2006

So, about that research…

My research has taken an interesting turn when the fellow I’m here to work with, Aa Gym, decided to take a second wife, scandalizing the Muslim world in Bandung. What made it so shocking was that he was actually married legally three months ago, and the press only found out when someone in his personal circle leaked the story to the newspapers just a week ago. People’s reactions have been pretty diverse, but I think the majority are very disappointed in him. But on the other hand, everyone wants to talk about him right now. Plus, he’s in all the tabloids! Personally, I figure I’ll give him time to deal with his personal matters before I bother him with my pesky questions about music. Instead, I’m on my way to meet with his brother today, who is the director of his business, Managemen Qolbu. Don’t worry mom, I’ll be wearing jilbab (headscarf). Time is of the essence though, because Aa Gym is leaving on hajj in two weeks. I think for a month. So, I want to make sure I get his blessing before I wander around his pesantren (Islamic boarding school) while he’s gone.

3 comments:

michaelnau said...

I am really glad to hear you are getting down to work-- sudah punya cerita yang menarik-- two wives, aduh! selamat jalan mbah

Unknown said...

Say whaaa? GOSSIP

Deidra said...

Wow, sounds like you're really in with the good crowd! Mom says "You better wear that head scarf! She's going to get herself in trouble." Etc. etc. I'm decorating beautifully in your honor, although it's very hard to get people pepped up. We need you back!!